Monday 27 May 2013

Help ! - my style went "Slightly Off Kilter"

Usually I know exactly what suits me and can discard much of what I see for sale with a razor sharp eye.
My style is fairly classic but casual too - there are few prints in my wardrobe but quite a bit of tailoring and layering... And above all fairly plain.  However, in the past two weeks I have not had my eye on the proverbial 'style ball' at all it seems and I've lost sight of what I know (or knew) to be my style.... And I went "SOK".....

I purchased these two items : 

Exhibit A :


And Exhibit B :



Now, whilst both on paper (or in the photographs) may look good they really are not "quite me"...  Camouflage pants perhaps may suit some but I felt a bit "pseudo army girl" in them or that I was off to a fancy dress party... 
And the leather boots - far too complicated not my usual style and too much going on.  Fringing, buckles etc.  Absolutely NO!  How could I have got it so wrong twice in quick succession?  

Anyway, I have replaced the above two items with these :

Far better - plain khaki green no fancy patterns



AND these

Here's another angle of the boots :

Neutral and plain - my normal mantra


Phew..... that's more like it!  

Do you ever take your eye off your normal style radar and go completely off piste so to speak? Hope I'm not the only one - at least my mistakes have been remedied fairly fast though and I feel like I'm back in control again.
P.S. - so sorry I have had to put word verification on my posts - I was getting inundated with spam comments - any ideas for an alternative? 


19 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I get seduced by random items from time to time. Usually too bright, too loud. They invite me to the Rave and then abandon me there.

    LOVE those boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boots have your name on them too I think (the 2nd pair, naturellement!!) X

      Delete
  2. Have been known to do exactly the same thing! I blame the internet - when you are seeing different looks all the time you start to think they are the new 'norm' until you see them on yourself! However, I think that the boots that you returned would have been terrific worn with more classic looking pants.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy, thanks for your comment.. yes, I think the internet can be blamed but sadly not on these two occasions! All my fault IN the shops...
    Yes, the 1st boots were fun but the fringing all too much for me.... (even with plain pants but I would not have ever put them with the' camo' pants !) S x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the replacement purchases!
    Lately I have been much more careful with my choices and actually quite frugal.
    I am not into camo even though it is getting tons of press in the magazines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Hostess - now I am thinking was I too hasty with the returning of the camo? Have a camo tee shirt so that will be my nod to this trend! S x

      Delete
  5. I like your choices Sarah...all of them, but can understand why you chose the latter. I am with you on that one. As for Spam...it drives me crazy! Let me know if you have any luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanne... I know Spam is the bane of my blogging life! S x

      Delete
  6. Sarah I love the boots, I will confess to a pair tucked neatly in my wardrobe, unworn due to too much decoration, I think they will have to go to the charity shop. A mistake or two sharpens the senses I think...all the best, Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heaven for charity shops Denise! S x

      Delete
  7. Love the boots (and the pants) and yes to style bumps. My day to day style is casual, but my SOK comes across in buying items too dressy for my everyday wardrobe. Maybe I'm buying for the life/style I dream of? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane I think perhaps we are all guilty of doing just that... buying for a lifestyle we imagine rather than the one we have ;-) ....... S x

      Delete
  8. I think occasionally we can all get a little sidetracked and it's surprising how quickly we realise a mistake once tried on at home. Thank goodness for refunds! Your replacements are lovely and very wearable!

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss B - thanks for dropping by and for your kind comments.. S x

      Delete
  9. Just found your blog and loved it! Oh yes, I many times bought things that at home look awful on me :) But refunds solve the situation! I loved the boots you got - I really love shoes! About spam - you could have comments upon approval... that's what I do and it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise and for your suggestions too re the spam! Welcome to the blog. S x

      Delete
  10. Guilty of this myself lately too!! I assume its because one of my "Sybil" personality's came with me to the shops. She likes all that flashy stuff I hate...so I just have to trudge it all back to return.
    I stopped allowing anonymous comments and it virtually eliminated spam on my blog. I must say, I detest word verification. It's a real challenge on an IPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha love that a "Sybil" personality... and thanks for the suggestion - have changed settings again and taken off word verification. Agree such a challenge on an Ipad and without my reading glasses too! S x

      Delete
  11. I quite like the camo pants - though I have been wearing a pair myself lately so might be biased /insane. Much prefer the second pair of boots.

    ReplyDelete

So lovely to hear from you....